OU case renames not working
Bob Bradley 3 years ago in UNIFYBroker SDK and UNIFYCore • updated by Matthew Davis (Technical Product Manager) 1 year ago • 2
When I changed the case of an OU name in an adapter from OrgUnits to orgUnits, the data returned subsequently over the LDAP interface was not adjusted accordingly. I believe I tried each of the following without success (but you may want to prove this for yourself):
- restarting the IdB service
- deleting the adapter and reloading it
- deleting the connector and adapter data and reloading them both
Eventually I had to go into the Broker SQL table (container names I think it was), locate the offending record, and update it there.
Customer support service by UserEcho
Thanks Bob - i've added this one to our backlog to review.
This problem has since been duplicated with a more recent ticket https://voice.unifysolutions.net/communities/6/topics/3989-full-import-returns-only-root-node which I forgot about. I didn't realise the magnitude of the impact of this problem until the troubleshooting on this later ticket today ... so if only I'd remembered I'd raised this ticket already, and actually been able to find it again, I could have saved 3-4 hours today :(.