When upgrading or making changes to the synchronization logic, it's often desirable to test the synchronization process without making potentially destructive changes to external systems. Below is a recommended process which helps identify changes that would be made to entities during the test process, but other requirements will need to be verified on an ad-hoc basis.
Recommended Testing Process
- Disable all links to ensure that no synchronization occurs while setting up.
- For all connectors which might incur destructive operations (adds, updates, deletions, etc.), use the Connector Test Harness to duplicate the affected connector as a CSV connector and push the existing entity contexts to the new connectors. Create copies of the CSV files to compare with later. See Using the Connector Test Harness for details on how to use the Connector Test Harness.
- Reconfigure all adapters to reference the newly created CSV connectors. This includes reconfiguring the base connector for all adapters as well as the relational connectors for transformations. See Adapter Overview and the relevant page under Transformations for details on reconfiguring adapters and transformations.
- Ensure that any provisioning tasks which perform destructive operations are configured to only run when Test Mode is disabled (with the Live run type). If required, create alternative provisioning tasks which mock required behaviour (e.g. setting attributes, logging results of operations) in a non-destructive manner and configure these tasks to only run when Test Mode is enabled (with the Test run type).
- Clear all existing pending synchronization changes for all links and clear all existing locker entities.
- Enable Test Mode.
- One by one, enable each link and trigger baseline synchronizations, checking that appropriate changes are made to target entities after each synchronization. Repeat until there are no further pending synchronization changes. See Synchronization for details on synchronization.
- Compare the CSV files in the final state with the copied original files to get a comprehensive snapshot of the changes that were made.
Customer support service by UserEcho