0
Answered

Sharepoint 2013 User Profile Web Service failing

Andrew Silcock 5 years ago in UNIFYBroker/Microsoft SharePoint updated by anonymous 4 years ago 5

I’m troubleshooting an issue at TAFE where the Unify web service for managing user profiles is throwing HTTP400 errors currently and was hoping you might be able to provide some guidance on where to look next.

On Richard’s advice I’ve done a WCF trace capture from the Identity Broker side and have found the following error occurring:
System.Net.Sockets.SocketException (0x80004005): An existing connection was forcibly closed by the remote host
at System.Net.Sockets.NetworkStream.Read(Byte[] buffer, Int32 offset, Int32 size)

I’ve looked through the Sharepoint logging and not found anything indicating what could be happening – therefore was hoping that you might be able to advise if there is a way to capture logs/debug the Unify solution that has been deployed within Sharepoint.


messages.zip
messages (2).zip
WCFTraceError.txt
Affected Versions:
Fixed by Version:

Hi Andrew Silcock, the Verbose.csvlog was exactly what I was after (had info and messages), unfortunately it didn't reveal much more than the logs. For this particular exception it is recommended online to trace the server, from initial readings this can be done by doing the same thing for the client trace, on the SharePoint side. See http://blogs.msdn.com/b/sridhara/archive/2010/04/06/tracing-sharepoint-2010-service-applications.aspx for details. A potential issue is finding the right config file to update, see https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/8c744594-79f1-4ee3-8983-64789173e001/tracing-for-wcf-service-not-working?forum=wcf for details.

Thanks.

Thanks - will do that.

Also just found that the issue is only on imports - it is still possible to run exports of objects out to SharePoint and they get created as expected.

Thanks. That is evidence that the size of the message is causing the problem (bytes, depth of xml, ect). Which is usually resolved through settings in the config file.

can you advise where the config file is? There is nothing in the directory where the .svc files are located.

I've not traced SharePoint before, which is why I found a couple of links to try and help out. From the second link:

WCF service was hosted in the context of a SharePoint web app. There is a web.config in SharePoint web app's virtual directory and a web.config in the svc directory where I hosted the service. All this while I was adding tracing configuration to svc dir's web.config. Once I made changes to web.config in web.app's virtual directory, tracing started working. So, web app web.config takes precedence over svc's web.config....interesting find!

If there isn't an existing config file, it may work by creating one. You could always create duplicate config files in each level of the folder hierarchy to save time finding which one works.