Answered

Error enabling TLS from Management Agent

Richard Green 7 years ago in UNIFYBroker/Microsoft Identity Manager updated by anonymous 7 years ago 15

Hi Gents,

I'm configuring my IDB management agents, and I've noticed the following error being thrown when I try to enable TLS:

Image 4366

I have created a self signed cert and configured it within the interface.

For reference, I used the following command to create my cert:

New-SelfSignedCertificate -Type Custom -Provider "Microsoft RSA SChannel Cryptographic Provider" -Subject "CN=Unify.IdentityBroker" -TextExtension @("2.5.29.37={text}1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.2") -KeyUsage DigitalSignature -KeyAlgorithm RSA -KeyLength 2048 -CertStoreLocation "Cert:\LocalMachine\My" -NotAfter (Get-Date).AddYears(5)

Answer

Answer
Under review

Please try Unify.IdentityBroker.FIMAdapter.dll and let me know how it goes.

Additional Info:

IDB v5.2.0 Revision #2

No errors are thrown in the IDB or Event Logs.

Gateway config is default:

Cert Config:

Answer
Under review

Please try Unify.IdentityBroker.FIMAdapter.dll and let me know how it goes.

Weird - Curtis I got an email notification on your comment, but it's not showing here.

Confirming I do have the latest version of IDB for MIM installed - 5.1.0.1.

Adam is that patch to go in the IDB directory or under fim extensions, or both...?

The patch need only go in the FIM Extensions directory.

Haha well got a new error from that one when trying to point the MA at the DLL:

There's also a really long stack trace in the event log which I can provide if required?

Yes please, txt file is fine if it's too long. Thanks.

The extensible extension returned an unsupported error.

The stack trace is:

"System.IO.FileLoadException: Could not load file or assembly 'file:///C:\Program Files\Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager\2010\Synchronization Service\Extensions\Unify.IdentityBroker.FIMAdapter.dll' or one of its dependencies. Operation is not supported. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x80131515)

File name: 'file:///C:\Program Files\Microsoft Forefront Identity Manager\2010\Synchronization Service\Extensions\Unify.IdentityBroker.FIMAdapter.dll' ---> System.NotSupportedException: An attempt was made to load an assembly from a network location which would have caused the assembly to be sandboxed in previous versions of the .NET Framework. This release of the .NET Framework does not enable CAS policy by default, so this load may be dangerous. If this load is not intended to sandbox the assembly, please enable the loadFromRemoteSources switch. See http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/?LinkId=155569 for more information.

at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly._nLoad(AssemblyName fileName, String codeBase, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly locationHint, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadAssemblyName(AssemblyName assemblyRef, Evidence assemblySecurity, RuntimeAssembly reqAssembly, StackCrawlMark& stackMark, IntPtr pPrivHostBinder, Boolean throwOnFileNotFound, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks)

at System.Reflection.RuntimeAssembly.InternalLoadFrom(String assemblyFile, Evidence securityEvidence, Byte[] hashValue, AssemblyHashAlgorithm hashAlgorithm, Boolean forIntrospection, Boolean suppressSecurityChecks, StackCrawlMark& stackMark)

at System.Reflection.Assembly.LoadFrom(String assemblyFile)

Forefront Identity Manager 4.4.1459.0"

Please check if the file has zone identifier information (right click, unblock, apply).

Hah well I have no idea how you figured that out, but yes that worked.

First test of enabling TLS caused the MIM Client to hang. I traced the following error in the event log:

A fatal error occurred when attempting to access the TLS server credential private key. The error code returned from the cryptographic module is 0x8009030D. The internal error state is 10001.

A google of this error indicated a possible permissions issue (among other solutions).

I made the IDB account a local admin, and restarted the service.

Shortly after restart, the CPU pegged at 100%. No idea why, nothing particularly indicative in the log.

Restarted again (stable this time) and retried the TLS option. Indicative error this time:

I'll see I if I can sort this one :)

That's one we haven't seen come through before X509ChainStatusFlags.NotValidForUsage. I can't find any information on it unfortunately though.

We'll also look at making this configurable so that additional flags can be ignored.

+1

Yep seems like it. 

This looks like a good page on this topic:

https://documentation.meraki.com/zGeneral_Administration/Other_Topics/Certificate_Requirements_for_TLS

My cert has an Enhanced Key Usage of Client Authentication but not Server Authentication, that's likely what it's whinging about. 

+1

For reference, the following command create's a usable cert with a 5 year expiry. The cert also needs to be installed in the Trusted Root Certification Authority store for it to work. 

This needs to be run as administrator.

New-SelfSignedCertificate -Type Custom -Provider "Microsoft RSA SChannel Cryptographic Provider" -Subject "CN=Unify.IdentityBroker" -TextExtension @("2.5.29.37={text}1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.2,1.3.6.1.5.5.7.3.1") -CertStoreLocation "Cert:\LocalMachine\My" -NotAfter (Get-Date).AddYears(5)

Thanks Richard,

Would you mind adding this as a comment to relevant documentation page?