Answered

Aurion Attribute Mapping broken & possibly not required anymore

Matthew Woolnough 7 years ago in UNIFYBroker/Aurion updated by anonymous 7 years ago 7

Using Aurion connectors, I have 4 types:

• Schedule
  • Security User
  • Person
  • Generic

If I use Security User as an example, immediately after creating the connector I get the error "Aurion connectors require Query Mappings to be configured for imports to successfully complete. Please reconfigure this connector to update the Query Mappings."

1) If I use the "default Security User schema", an incorrect schema is created and I need to guess the correct attribute names.

If I use the "query fields" option, the correct names are created & have the option to do mapping in the connector which is very time consuming, or I can have the adapter do it automatically. 

2) Is it necessary/advisable to do this mapping in the connector?

Answer

Answer
Answered

The default schema allows the fields to be exported to, they are the names that are required for the API to work. Due to a mismatch in Aurion (and the ability to rename fields in the query tool), there needs to be a mechanism to map between the differently named fields.

The default schema should be used for the connectors that have one. Then use the mapping tool to map between these field names and those that are returned by the query (or the query schema provider).

Answer
Answered

The default schema allows the fields to be exported to, they are the names that are required for the API to work. Due to a mismatch in Aurion (and the ability to rename fields in the query tool), there needs to be a mechanism to map between the differently named fields.

The default schema should be used for the connectors that have one. Then use the mapping tool to map between these field names and those that are returned by the query (or the query schema provider).

Shouldn't the mapping be done automatically? The consultant generally won't have the domain knowledge to know the names of the fields returned, and then has to rely on things like WireShark traces to observe on the wire and create a mapping. 

The software doesn't have the domain knowledge either as the admin (or Aurion consultant) they can use whatever names they like.

Please raise a feature request, however, if you'd like us to spend some time looking at ways of improving this process.

Or the query schema provider as you've suggested. The UI should be prompting the user to make this mapping based on what it needs vs what is returned. 

Also, the mapping here is very strange.  This means that if I have 2 connectors. One with a default schema & one without, they will have different names in the adapter. 

Security users will have PersonNumber, whereas Employees which uses a generic connector will have Person_Number.  I have 2 options: 

1) Modify the connector config XML directly. 

2) Create transformations in the adapter so the names are the same. 

Option 1 seems like the best option as we'd expect the names to all be matching by the time the attributes get to the adapter. 

It gets even stranger when additional attributes are required that the default schema does not contain. I first do a default schema, followed by the requested schema and 1/2 are normalized and 1/2 are not as shown in the attached printout of the UI.

Configure Connector.pdf